About the Talk
The talk is about defining and preserving our Penang Nonya cuisine. The intention is to stimulate discussions to come up with ideas on topics/questions like:
- Preservation and rejuvenation of our distinct Penang Nonya cuisine.
- Old fusion, New fusion and Con-fusion Nonya dishes.
- Who decides whether a dish is considered Nonya or “authentic”?
- Is “Nonya Flavours – A complete guide to Penang Straits Chinese Cuisine” truly representative of our Penang Nonya cuisine?
- Intangible Cultural Heritage: Interest in obtaining UNESCO recognition for Nonya Cuisine, Penang Nonya Cuisine or Penang Food?
About the Speaker
Ong Jin Teong gained his PhD from Imperial College. He is a retired professor from the Nanyang Technological University’s College of Engineering. He is a Consultant in Wireless Engineering and in Nonya Heritage Food. He does research, writes and conducts cooking classes and gives talks on heritage food & heritage related to food. He likes to cook for friends and occasionally runs his own supper club. He has a collection of traditional cooking utensils, old cookbooks and recipes. He is the author of award-winning books, Nonya Heritage Kitchen and Penang Heritage Food. His next book will be about easy-to-cook family dishes.
Date: Tuesday 13 December 2022
Time: 8.00–9.30pm (Doors open from 7.30pm)
Venue: Penang Institute, 10–12 Brown Road, George Town
Speaker: Mr. Ong Jin Teong
Moderator: Dato’ Seri Dr. Tan Gin Soon, President of the State Chinese Penang Association
Registration Link: pi-nonya.eventbrite.com
Note: The event will also be streamed LIVE on our Facebook page (@penanginstitute) and our YouTube channel (Penang Institute) for guests who are unable to attend physically. Simply tune in at the stipulated time.
This event is co-organised by Penang Institute and the State Chinese Penang Association.
For further enquiries: Contact Penang Institute at 04-2283306 (Extension 101)