Penang Institute has an ongoing internship programme and welcomes young scholars who wish to gain insight and first-hand experience working with researchers, policy experts, government agencies and NGOs. Each intern will be designated a project according to their interests and academic background, and will be placed under the supervision of a mentor. Being a state-linked think tank, Penang Institute is able to offer interns the chance to participate and contribute meaningfully towards the socio-economic development of Penang. The internship period must be for a minimum of one month and a maximum of six months. Towards the end of the internship programme, interns are expected to give an inhouse presentation and publish at least one article based on their research . Candidates are expected to bear all costs of living during the period of internship (including board, lodging and travel).
The programme seeks talents with a passion for public policy issues and is open to both local and international undergraduate/postgraduate students and fresh graduates. However, please note that internship placement is based on project availability and supervisor’s availability at your proposed internship period. Acceptable research areas include:
– Socioeconomics and Statistics Programme
– Heritage & Urban Studies Programme
– History & Regional Studies Programme
– Publicity Unit
– Executive Director’s Office
– Administration Unit
As for internship opportunities with our Penang Monthly team, kindly refer here.
Interested individuals may apply by sending in an application letter, their CV, and a 1-2 page research proposal, and state their period of availability, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants who are applying for the Administration Unit need not prepare a research proposal. For the Publicity unit, please click here for further information on the application process.
Penang Institute’s internship programme has been successfully running since 2010, attracting students from all over the world and from world-renowned universities.
Penang Institute is the public policy think tank of the state government of Penang. We seek to spur bold thinking in key areas that affect the well-being of Penang, Malaysia and the region in general.
Why the Penang Institute?
We offer the opportunity to make a lasting impact.
Our people come from a variety of academic and professional backgrounds that include economics, accounting, finance, actuarial science, statistics, engineering, history, international studies, political science, law, computer science, town and urban studies.
Being part of Penang Institute will enable you to draw the strength from a collaborative and intellectually stimulating environment, and help shape public policy.
Be part of us by exploring our vacancies below:
Survey Enumerator Job Advertisement (Survey on Agricultural Smallholders)
Penang Institute is seeking enumerators to assist in conducting a survey on agricultural smallholders in the Northern Peninsular region. The main objective of this study is to better understand smallholders’ challenges, prioritise their issues and identify possible solutions. A face-to-face survey with a target sample size of 500 smallholders will be conducted across four states of Perlis, Kedah, Penang and Perak for a duration of about two months (December 2022 – January 2023).
Enumerators Roles and Responsibilities
- Attend enumerator training workshop (online);
- Administer survey in-person one-on-one with the smallholder farmers that attend the
- Check and enter data into the survey management system provided by Penang Institute; and
- Update and ensure that all responses are handed over to Penang Institute.
- Data collection starts on 8 December 2022 in Penang.
- Have secondary qualifications and above (SPM/ Diploma/ Bachelor’s Degree and above).
- Must be able to speak, read and write fluently in Malay. English, Mandarin, and other local
languages are ideal, but not required.
Enumerators’ Fee and Travel Expenses
- Enumerators’ travel expenses, including transportation (in Perak, Kedah, Penang and Perlis) and accommodation (in Perak, Kedah and Perlis), will be covered by Penang Institute.
- Enumerators’ fee: RM60 per event (4-5 hours) per enumerator, only with a minimum target (5 survey per event) to achieve.
If you are interested in this job, please contact us at 017-288 4903 or via email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org