About the Talk
The talk is about defining and preserving our Penang Nonya cuisine. The intention is to stimulate discussions to come up with ideas on topics/questions like:
- Preservation and rejuvenation of our distinct Penang Nonya cuisine.
- Old fusion, New fusion and Con-fusion Nonya dishes.
- Who decides whether a dish is considered Nonya or “authentic”?
- Is “Nonya Flavours – A complete guide to Penang Straits Chinese Cuisine” truly representative of our Penang Nonya cuisine?
- Intangible Cultural Heritage: Interest in obtaining UNESCO recognition for Nonya Cuisine, Penang Nonya Cuisine or Penang Food?
Speaker: Mr. Ong Jin Teong
Moderator: Dato’ Seri Dr. Tan Gin Soon, President of the State Chinese Penang Association
About the Speaker
Ong Jin Teong gained his PhD from Imperial College. He is a retired professor from the Nanyang Technological University’s College of Engineering. He is a Consultant in Wireless Engineering and in Nonya Heritage Food. He does research, writes and conducts cooking classes and gives talks on heritage food & heritage related to food. He likes to cook for friends and occasionally runs his own supper club. He has a collection of traditional cooking utensils, old cookbooks and recipes. He is the author of award-winning books, Nonya Heritage Kitchen and Penang Heritage Food. His next book will be about easy-to-cook family dishes.
About the Moderator
Dato’ Seri Tan Gin Soon, 76 years of age is a 5th generation Baba from Penang. He has been a member of the State Chinese Penang Association (SCPA) since 1998. He became the Vice President from 2005 until 2011 whereby he held the post of President till now. The State Chinese Penang Association was founded on 3rd December 1920 and this year, 2022, we will celebrate its 102nd Anniversary.
This event is co-organised by Penang Institute and the State Chinese Penang Association.